Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dear No One

One day
we’ll take midnight walks
down the streets
of my neighborhood
barefoot
in too much of a rush
to be alone
to bother
with tying laces

One day
I’ll spray lavender perfume
on my chest
and wrists
to keep you close
but you’re favorite scent
you’ll tell me
is the way the nape
of my neck smells
when you kiss it

One day
you’ll know
how to hold my hand
fingers twisted together
with my thumb over yours
the way I like it

One day
you’ll know
that a kiss
on my forehead
is the cure
for every stress
every headache
every long day

One day
I’ll press
your palm against mine
and think
about how tiny
my hand looks
in yours
and how, despite my
5 foot 8, 150 pound frame
I feel delicate

One day
you’ll count
all my freckles
even remembering the one
on my little toe
determined to memorize
each constellation
mapped out
across my skin

One day

2 comments:

  1. Mary, this poem is beautiful and it spoke to me, because even without a partner you know what love is, as do I, and you know what you want from it. You have defined the love you're seeking so that it meets your emotional and physical needs, which is pivotal. Too many girls get into relationships and stay in them, when, in fact, they're being treated horribly and excuse all of the bullshit mindlessly under the effects of "love". So, don't worry that the letter is addressed to "no one". In fact, that's probably best seeing as doing what we need to do and want to do for ourselves at this monumental time in our youth is most important. Determination is important, and distractions should be minimal. However, love is a beautiful thing, especially as you described it, and one day it'll enter your life, may it be next week, or next year. When it comes, you'll know and you'll know that it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I was going for! The things I listed are shallow and basic, but, I remember all of them vividly about past relationships. It was supposed to have kind of a deeper meaning, looking past just the simple actions. Also, I'm really picky about relationships now, and I know I want all of those little things that I've taken from other relationships. So, I'm glad that you saw the deeper parts and that you agree with having high expectations. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete