Saturday, November 28, 2009

Luke

 first short story. freshman year of high school.

My brother was born with arthrogryposis. It’s really called Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita, which is a big, crazy, medical term for crooked joints. That’s what my brother has: crooked joints. There are lots of things that can happen when you have it, but normally, it’s just the joints and muscle weakness, which is bad enough. If you have arthrogryposis, it doesn’t get any worse as you grow older, but it doesn’t get any better either.

I remember when Luke was born. My parents tried to explain to me why he didn’t move like other babies, but I was little and didn’t really notice anything different about him for a while. It wasn’t until we were older, and I wanted Luke to play baseball, or go swimming with me, that I started to notice something wierd about him. My parents told me that something happened with Luke’s body that made his joints not able to bend and straighten all the way, and it was difficult for him to keep up with me. Although, I realized that Luke didn’t wrap his fingers all the way around his toothbrush like me, instead he sort of squeezed it in his palm like he had claws, and that he didn’t run straight and fast like me, instead he sort of wobbled side to side as he hobbled around, I didn’t understand exactly what was going on.

I used to get so frustrated with him, thinking that, if he just tried hard enough, he could keep up with all the other kids. “If you really wanted to keep playing, you could,” I used to say to him when he would start complaining that his legs were tired and that he had to go inside. I thought it was sort of like when you get really sore from exercising or when it’s really cold and your muscles stiffen up, it hurts to move sometimes, but if you just tried hard enough, you could do it. My dad told me one day that it wasn’t like that at all. It didn’t hurt Luke; he just couldn’t do it and never would.

Luke was a smart kid, though, and he figured out how to do just about everything the other kids did, just in a different way. Like, if he was lying on the floor of our living-room watching TV, he couldn’t bend his knees to stand up all the way, but he would wiggle his way up to the couch, pull himself up with his elbows, and stand up from there. We always made special positions in the games we played, just for Luke. When we played cops and robbers, Luke got to be the chief of police, who went from team to team, looking for cheaters who would be sent to “jail.” It took a few years for Luke to figure out that there was really no chief of police in cops and robbers, but he didn’t mind.

Sometimes, I would feel mad at Luke for being different, the way he was- for not being able to play as long or fast or hard as everyone else. It bothered me when I saw him taking an extra minute to get up the steps of our front porch, pulling himself up with the railing, and I was embarrassed every time someone gave him a funny look when he had to take his wheelchair out for longer outings. As much as it bothered me, it didn’t take anyone long to see that Luke wasn’t bothered by his disability at all. If he could do it, it didn’t matter one bit how he did. He didn’t mind a little extra help, or taking the long way, or needing a head start on anything, as long as it got him where he was going, and he always figured out how to do just that. Luke was just like any other kid, and just like all kids, Luke and I wanted dog.

“Absolutely not,” my mother said when we first posed this idea to her. “I am not raising the two of you and a dog,” she said, emphasizing “dog,” making it come out slow and heavy like a bad taste in her mouth. More times than I could count, Luke and I would come inside with a dog we had found in the neighborhood, pretending we had no idea where it came from, until Mom or Dad would make us take it back to its home. We would come into the house making as little noise as possible, and sneak the dog into the room that we shared. We were never able to hide the dog for more than an hour or two, before Mom or Dad found us out. I remember one day, when Luke and I tried to capture the big black poodle that lived in the house behind ours.

Luke and I had found Princess prancing down the street, and called her over to play with us.
“Don’t let Mom hear us, Ben!” Luke whispered to me as I slowly turned the shiny brass handle to our front door.
“Be quiet! I know what I’m doing! Now, don’t forget the plan.”
“Got it,” Luke said, nodding his head determinately.

Slowly and quietly, he slipped in the front door, leading Princess to our room. I clenched my teeth, covering my face with my hands, praying that Mom couldn’t hear the quick-slow, quick-slow sound of Luke’s limp across the hardwood floor. Then, when his footsteps were overpowered with the clippity-clippity sounds of Princess’ nails scampering around the room, I knew we were done for.

“Luke? What is-”
“Hey, Mom!” I yelled, running into the kitchen where she was cooking dinner. “Luke and I are just going to go to our room for a little bit? Okay? Okay. Bye!” I said in one short breath, running back out of the room, before she had the chance to ask any questions. I had made it halfway down the hall, when I heard her voice call calmly, still in the kitchen, stopping me in my tracks.

“Take it back, boys,” she said.

Luke’s little head popped out from our bedroom door, wide-eyed, mouth shaped in a surprised O, waiting for me to come up with an easy out.

“Mom? I don’t know what you’re-” I began.
“I don’t want to know. Just take it back.”

Luke’s head disappeared back behind the door, returning a moment later, drooping towards the ground in defeat, solemnly walking past me towards the front door, pulling Princess along behind him by her collar. “She always knows,” he mumbled.

Luke had always gotten along with the other kids in the neighborhood. We had grown up with them, and they were used to him. He didn’t have to explain his disability to them every time he wanted to play. When Luke started school; however, it wasn’t quite as easy. Luke was quiet and shy and avoided situations with lots of other kids, so that he wouldn’t be the center of attention like he always was when people first met him. It didn’t help that every year of school meant a new group of kids, and a new group of stares and questions. No one ever meant anything by it, and Luke knew that, but, still, he tried to stay out of the way, most of the time.

Mom and Dad noticed that Luke was becoming shier and shier as time went on, and Mom started to get a little worried. One night, when Luke and I were supposed to be asleep, I heard voices coming from the living room. As I crept down the staircase, I could make out my parents' voices.

“It’s just not normal,” she said. “He shouldn’t be so shy. Luke is such a smart, sweet boy. He should do what he wants to do.”
“I think he is doing what he wants to do, Jen,” came Dad’s voice. “He’ll bloom on his own time. The boy’s fine.”
“Still, I just don’t like it.”

About a week later, Luke and I came home from school to find Mom waiting for us at the front door, a smile stretched wide across her face.

"I have a surprise for you," she said, "but you have to close your eyes. You can't see it yet."
"What is it, Mom?" Luke and I asked, barely able to wait another second.
"I can't tell you. You'll just have to see for yourself."

Instantly, she was flooded with a thousand questions. "Is it big?" "Can you hold it?" "Do you eat it?" "Is it alive?" "Will we like it?" "What does it smell like?" "Do we want one?" "Where'd you get it?"
"When can we have it?" Luke finally asked.
"Right now! Just close your eyes- both of you, and don't look," Mom said excitedly, putting a hand on each of our backs, leading us through the house, our eyes closed tightly. I knew we were going to the back yard, when I heard the sliding glass door open. Mom stopped us there and said, “Now, when I say three-”
She didn’t even have time to get to the count of one before I heard footsteps sprinting towards us and, a moment later, Luke’s scream. Terrified, I opened my eyes to find Luke lying flat on his back underneath a giant, black dog. Already, in the few seconds Luke had been on the ground, his face was sticky and shiny from being licked. “Mom!” he squealed in between giggles, flailing his arms and legs from underneath his attacker, “A dog!”

I watched my mother’s face in that moment and saw how it lit up with Luke’s laughter. I think she expected that dog to bring some sort of miracle for Luke, helping him, making his life better, but it wasn’t quite that easy.

Susie was a year old, when Mom and Dad brought her home for us. She was a great, big, black Labrador retriever with a great big heart and a great big amount of energy, and Luke fell in love. Susie had lived in the pound for most of her life and wasn’t very well trained. She seemed to have the most trouble learning, “no,” although, since Susie came to live with us, that was the word that was said around the house the most. “No, Susie!” when she stole Dad’s bedroom slippers, or when she stole Mom’s rolls off the dinner table, or when she chased our next door neighbor’s cat under the porch, or when she chewed up Luke’s library book when he got his very first library card, or the thousands of millions of times Susie ran away, always coming back exhausted and dirty, tracing mud, leaves, and sticks into the house.

Susie was always with us. When we went to play in the yard, or with the neighborhood kids, Susie was there, trailing right along beside us. She sat between our chairs under the table at dinner time, scarfing down scraps that we snuck to her. She slept in a little blue and red plaid dog bed we picked out at the pet store, which we laid out on the floor in our bedroom. Anywhere we could possibly bring Susie, we took her. That's why taking Susie for a walk was a little bit of a problem.

When we took Susie out, I held the leash, most of the time, because Mom was always afraid that Luke wouldn't be strong enough. Dad told us that dogs need lots of exercise, and if we wanted to keep Susie, we had to take care of her ourselves, which included a walk everyday. I really didn't mind walking her myself, or going with Luke when he walked her, but Luke was crazy about Susie, and, for the first time ever, he was determined to do something completely on his own.

After Luke toppled over, once, when Susie chased after a cat on one of their first walks, we knew there was a little bit of an issue. Luke had a wheelchair that he used sometimes when we would go out for long periods of time, because his legs would get tired so quickly. He used his wheelchair a lot when we went out on long "walks," and we figured that, that might be the best way for Luke to take Susie out on his own. At first, he just held the leash in his hand while he wheeled around, but when the leash got twisted and tangled up in the gears on his chair, we decided that probably wasn't going to last very long. Luke and I were very creative when we figured out how to tie the leash to the armrest on the wheelchair. That went almost perfectly, for a few days, until Susie took off down a hill, pulling poor, little Luke along behind her, flying down the street chair and all. After that, we gave up on Luke walking Susie by himself for a while.

One afternoon, a bunch of the neighborhood kids went out to play basketball at the park, a few streets away from the house. Luke had been complaining all day, knowing that he wouldn't be able to play with us. In the end, he lost the vote and took his place resting at the sidelines, watching, with Susie sitting at his side, just like always. Susie ran off at some point when no one was looking, and when she didn't come back after a few minutes, Luke grew anxious without her.

"Luke, it's just Susie. She always does this. You know that," I told him.
"Yeah, I know, but it's not like I can play anyway."
"Come on, Luke, it's just a few more minutes, and then we can go home. She'll already be there by now, I bet."
"Nah, I'm just going to go, get a head start."
"You're being a baby, Luke."
"Yeah, yeah. Whatever. See you at home."

Luke left, then, and, after a minute or so, the sound of his footsteps died down, and I figured I'd give him a little longer to get ahead, before coming home myself. A little longer turned into an hour, before the game ended.
"Hey, sorry that took so long," I said, coming in door, "Where's Luke?"
"What do you mean, 'Where's Luke?'" Dad asked, coming down the stairs. "Wasn't he with you?"
"Yeah, but he left early to go find Susie, when she ran off."
"Ben, Luke hasn't been home since he left with you." There was the tiniest trace of panic in her voice, and I felt my heart stop, just for a moment.
"I'm sure he's fine," Dad interjected quickly.

Another thirty minutes passed with no sign of Luke. Mom and Dad started calling friends and neighbors, but no one had seen Luke since he had left to go home. We went out looking for him, driving down every street in the neighborhood several times, but no Luke. Finally, around supper time, we came back, hoping that Luke had showed up at home, or someone had called the house with news of him, but, of course, there was nothing.

"I can't do it anymore," Mom said finally, pushing out her chair and getting up from the table. "I'm calling the police." This time, Dad didn't try to tell her not to worry or that she was overreacting, and I started to get scared. I excused myself from the table, grabbed my jacket, and headed towards the front door.

"Ben? Honey, where are you going?" Mom called after me.
"I'm going out to look."
"Ben, it's dark. An officer will be here in a minute to talk to your father and I, and then we can go with you."
"I have a flashlight. Mom. I'll be fine. Please." and with that, I left.

I knew as soon as I shut the door behind me that it was hopeless. We had been up and down every street at least five times, and it was pitch black out now. Giving up on the roads, I turned to the basketball courts where we had been playing earlier. I remembered going to amusement parks when Luke and I were younger and Mom and Dad telling us that, if either of us got lost, to go to the last place where we had all been, and they would come find us. I crossed my fingers as I walked, hoping that, maybe, Luke remembered this too, and was waiting there now. I knew in my heart, though, that Luke wouldn't be there, because Luke wasn't lost. We knew every part of this neighborhood front to back. We had grown up here. We had spent years exploring every nook and cranny. We even had secret places that only we- and then it hit me, the one place my parents hadn't thought to look, because my parents didn't know about the fort. Only the kids went there- no grownups allowed.

I sprinted through the trees, as fast as I could, brushing the branches out of the way as they scratched at my face, . I couldn't see where I was going, but I had been in those woods enough times to know where I was, even in the dark. After a while, I came to a cluster of fallen trees, with a blue plastic tarp stretched over them- the fort we had made a few years back. Luke and I came here when we wanted to get away from home, when we were upset, or just needed to be alone, but we hadn't come here together in such a long time. Hope filled me as I reached for the edge of the tarp and lifted it.

But there was no Luke. My breath caught in my chest, and I realized, I was out of places to look. I had no idea where Luke was, and there was no way I would be able to find him tonight, and what if tomorrow was too late? I could feel my throat tighten up, that achy feeling burning in my stomach rising up until my eyes started to water, and great, hysteric sobs rolled out of my mouth. It was cold; my breath fogged in the air in front of my face, and I knew I had to get home before Mom and Dad started to worry about me too. I turned around and started walking, slowly, home.

I don't know exactly how long it had been, a few minutes, maybe only a few seconds, before I heard something. It was a slow, high-pitched whine that sounded sort of like a tea-kettle whistling. I stopped walking, but heard nothing, so I continued, more cautiously now. Soon, I heard the sound again, that same high whining noise.
I swallowed hard. "Hello?" I said in a whisper. "Hello?" I tried again, a little louder. The noise stopped all together, and then immediately started up, faster and louder than before. I ran towards the noise, calling out to it, every few seconds. The sound changed from the soft whimper, to a bark, and then I shouted, "Hello! Can you hear me?" The barking was very loud now, and close, and overtop of it, I could just make out another voice, smaller and quieter. "Ben?" it said.

"Luke? Luke! Is that you?" I screamed at the top of my lungs. I kept screaming like that, the whole time I ran, the voice screaming back at me, neither of us able to make out the other's words, with the barking overpowering both of us.

Slowly, a small, dark shape began to form in my path, and I ran faster and faster towards it. It was almost motionless, lying down on the ground, masked by the leaves and branches around it. After a few more seconds, I could make out Luke's face, shivering and frightened. I started sobbing harder than ever, and knelt down beside him, pulling him towards me.

"I'm sorry, Ben! I fell down, and I didn't have anything to help me get up. I didn't mean to- I tried to-" Luke was crying, now, too.

I didn't say anything at first. I just held him like that some more, both of us crying uncontrollably. A few minutes passed before I looked down at his legs.

There was Susie, her head in Luke's lap, completely still for the first time in her life. My Susie, the crazy, untamable, chewy, mischievous, dog that she was. The dog that had knocked Luke over hundreds of times in her life, the dog who had run away from us leaving us searching blindly for hours, had found my brother, had saved him, in the end.

After that night with Susie in the woods, things changed some for Luke. He began to blossom, as my dad said, and Luke had a new story to tell every year at school. When the kids whispered and stared, Luke's smile stretched from ear to ear. The first day of school was his favorite- new group of kids, new group of questions, new chance to show off the miraculous story that all happened, because Luke was different.

"Hey, did you hear what happened to me?"

2 comments:

  1. I have google alerts set up for "arthrogryposis" (I have a 5 year old son with AMC)and just stumbled across you blog when you posted this. I absolutely LOVED every second of it! I have read through most of your blog and I just love your writing style! You definitely have a gift! Keep up the good work girl!!

    Valerie
    http://fromthetrenchesofadoption.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, it took me so long to reply to this. I just saw your comment.
    This was inspired by a friend of mine, who has arthrogryposis. She's 18, getting her license and is moving away to college in a few months. Huge inspiration. My mother is a nurse and she has a service dog who works in the hospital with her, so the two combined and Luke was born! :)
    I did this a while ago, and I plan on going back to it very soon and tweaking it a little more.
    Thank you so much for commenting. Blogger isn't really the best way to get my writing noticed, so it means a lot that you took the time to go through my blog and even more so that you liked it!

    ReplyDelete